07 Oct Tackling Indigenous Smoking Addiction Counsellor
Wurli-Wurlinjang Health Service is seeking a suitably qualified individual in primary health care to join our team as the Tackling Indigenous Smoking Addiction Counsellor. Wurli-Wurlinjang Health Service is an Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisation delivering primary health care services to the Aboriginal people in Katherine and surrounding communities. Wurli prides itself on delivering a range of health and wellbeing services to the community in a style and manner that makes clients feel welcome and comfortable.
The Tackling Indigenous Smoking program is a part of the Wurli Strategic plan and vision to develop and deliver a holistic approach to health across all areas of the organisation for the Katherine Community
The Tacking Indigenous Smoking Addiction Counsellor will be required to work in a collaborative manner across the Primary Health Care and Community Services sectors of our business to provide effective harm reduction, cessation and education regarding tobacco use to our people. This role will be responsible for providing a culturally sensitive approach and assistance to our clients in order to improve their social and emotional wellbeing. Key components of the role are to provide culturally safe therapeutic counselling to assist individuals in ceasing smoking and addressing other complex physical, social and emotional issues.
We are looking for a “NON SMOKER” who has a Diploma of Counselling or equivalent tertiary qualification and preferably previous experience with Smoking Cessation Counselling and previous experience working with Indigenous Communities. The successful applicant will need to demonstrate:-
- Sound knowledge of Health Promotions and or Public Health
- Sound knowledge and understanding of indigenous societies and culture, including issues effecting indigenous people in contemporary Australian Society and knowledge of Katherine and surrounding communities
- A high level of communication skills and a demonstrated willingness and ability to represent the organisation externally, including managing and developing essential stakeholder relationships and partnerships
- Evidence of the essential qualifications for this position.
With a strong focus on professional development, Wurli will provide you with ongoing opportunities for training and development.
A fantastic range of further benefits include:
- Salary sacrificing options;
- Generous leave entitlements (6 weeks annual leave, 15 days personal leave, 1 week special leave, study leave);
For further details regarding this position please refer to the position description: Position Description _ TIS Addiction Counsellor
Please ensure your application includes:
- a completed online Employment Application Form
- current resume of curriculum vitae (cv)
- cover letter / email which provides a clear and concise overview of your ability to meet the key requirements of the role (prerequisites, qualifications / experience and competencies)
- National Police Certificate (not less than 3 months old)
To apply for this job please submit your online application.