05 Oct Community Engagement Support Officer / Sexual Health Educator (CESO)
As part of Wurli’s vision to “To move forward as one, to heal our people and improve our health”, Wurli is introducing a new and exciting 12 month project called the Syphilis Enhanced Response (SER) program. The purpose of this program is to implement a ‘test and treat’ model in the Katherine region in order to address the needs of our population. The project will not only involved detection and treatment of this communicable disease, but provide additional education and support services in relation to the effects, treatment and prevention.
The Community Engagement Support Officer/ Sexual Health Educator is an integral role within the SER program particularly to ensure Wurli provides a high level of culturally appropriate support and authenticity to the program rollout and delivery. Key responsibility of the role will include community engagement, education, promotion and advocacy and to provide cultural mentoring and guidance to our non-indigenous team members. This role is also required to develop and deliver and coordinate an innovative program, of activities and opportunities for and with young people with an emphasis on good choices and sexual health encompassing a community development context. The position will receive specific training from clinical staff about the prevalence of STI’s in the target community and will then be able to pass this information onto peer networks.
An example of the duties to be performed include:
- Provide culturally appropriate and interpretative support and assistant to clients, their family, the community and all other key stakeholders involved in the delivery of the syphilis enhanced response program
- Build and maintain relationships based on trust and support and with our community members (existing and potential clients).
- Contribute to the planning, implementation, delivery, advocacy and evaluation of the Enhanced Syphilis Response program
- To actively engage the target population of the SER program utilising an array of means such as but not limited to:
- Develop existing links with indigenous specific young people’s groups such as Clontarf and Stars
- Develop other links to sporting groups, teams and events
- Develop links with Schools and Boarding facilities.
- Develop links to a youth reference structure currently being developed in other program areas
- Form a particular link with young women ( female incumbent) to ensure that in the event of pregnancy they have every chance of a healthy syphilis safe baby (both preconception and subsequently by linking with the Wurli Family Partnership Program
Whilst qualifications are not essential, we are seeking an individual who can demonstrate:-
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the Indigenous communities within the Wurli service area
- Ability to develop and cultivate sound community and client relationships and communicate sensitively and effectively with Indigenous people (Bilingual oral communication skills)
- Professional presentation
- Punctual and reliable
- Be comfortable discussing sexual activity in both individual and group situations as determined by the needs of the program
- Basic computer skills including the ability to use MS Office Suite (including Outlook) and Communicare or equivalent systems
- Current National Police Records Check
- Working with Children’s Clearance
- Current Northern Territory Driver’s License
For further details regarding this position please refer to the Position Profile _ Community Engagement Support Officer – Sexual Health Educator
If you have any queries regarding this position please contact a member of the Human Resource team on 8972 9161
To apply for this job please visit www.wurli.org.au.